What if you could start changing the world, one person at a time. What if it only took the time of drinking a cup of coffee… whilst browsing Instagram?
Yeah, sounds like one of those corny online multi-level marketing scams, but it’s not. Sharing the love and hope found in Jesus on social media is super simple and an incredible opportunity in our current circumstances.
Here are some simple steps for how to do just that:
1. Search a hashtag*. Spend 30 seconds and ask God what He wants you to search for. If you’re still not sure what to search, start tags like #depression, #anxiety and #unloved. You will find people just waiting to be loved.
*You may come across some explicit content so be wise.
2. Find a post that jumps out at you. Look for people who seem to have a genuine need and just allow compassion to lead you.
3. Engage by commenting on their post. Be honest and humble. You could start with something like, “Hey, I saw your post and wondered if you were okay? Do you want to talk about it?”
4. Initiate a conversation. If you get a reply, great! Don’t be afraid to ask some more questions. Find out where they’re at. Some people will simply be touched simply by the fact you took a moment to listen and engage.
5. Give them your best. Jesus is invariably the ultimate answer to any problem a person has, so offer to pray or share a testimony of how God has helped you. Don’t underestimate the power of your personal story.
6. Go private if need be. Instagram comments have word limits and can be a very limiting way to communicate, so don’t be afraid to take the conversation to a private message — particularly if it’s getting personal and you want to protect their privacy. I’m sure you can sympathise with people who may not want to share private stuff in a comment feed for the whole world to see.
7. Share a video. If the conversation isn’t going anywhere, that’s fine. Another great way to reach out to them is by sharing a short video through the yesHEis app. Find a video related to the topic of conversation that you think will speak to that person and share the link. It will take them to a private landing page to view the video. There’s an option for them to click through to a second video about Jesus and salvation if they want to know more.
8. Follow up. You’re able to see if the videos you share are being watched. So check out the impact of you reaching out and sharing your faith.
So that’s it! Let’s use the tools God has literally put in our hands, and spread the love and hope.
Article supplied with thanks to The Journey by yesHEis.
About the Author: yesHEis provides various resources to help share your faith in relatable ways.